Tuesday 3 July 2012

Brighton Japan Festival – Moshi Matsuri (23rd June 2012)


[Originally written for and featured on the UnitedJpop website. Read here!].

T
he Moshi Matsuri was held outside the sushi restaurant Moshi Moshi in Bartholomew Square in Brighton on 23/06/2012. It was comprised of many different stalls that showcased various parts of Japanese culture for people to take part in or purchase.
The festival is still ongoing – set to run from 22nd June to 1st July 2012. Taking place all over Brighton.





Although I could not stay long, I can say that the Moshi Matsuri definately gave people a good taste of Japanese culture.
Bartholomew Square was filled with stalls selling traditional Japanese trinkets, yukatas and kimonos. There was also an option for people to simply try on some of the clothes if you didn’t want to buy some for yourself. Personally, I was far to shy to give it a go but I saw many others doing so!

There was an Enka performance on a stage set up just outside the restaurant. The singer was not Japanese, which shocked me a little at first, but she was very good indeed!
It really helped to give the whole area an “authentic” Japanese feel and was very relaxing. I also think that the fact that she was not Japanese was actually great, because it makes you feel as if cultures are able to bond seamlessly with one another despite differences.


Of course, there was a lot of Maneki Nekos available to buy, however I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t find any Daruma Dolls! (Perhaps I didn’t look well enough…).
Any lovers of Japanese culture that adore cute little toys would have loved many of the items on offer…there were many things full of kawaii-ness that frequently caught my attention.

Two girls at one of the stalls were dressed completely in Gothic Lolita style and I was very envious of how pretty they looked in the outfits…

There were also lots of Japanese foods and sweets on sale. I bought myself a box of Lotte Chocolate Koala bears and had to stop myself from buying more!
Personally, I still get so excited by seeing items that I have seen to be from Japan in real life, so I was very excited by all of it!

As previously stated, the festival is still ongoing and there are plenty of different events for people to attend!
(Most are also for free, which is a bonus!)


Be sure to check out The Brighton Japan Festival website for details on all the events.
This post has only covered an extremely tiny part of the entire festival that explores all that Japan has to offer.

I recommend that any who can go on any of the days does so!
I certainly know that I will be going back again to check out what the Asahi Anime Festival that is on this weekend.

[Sources: Brighton Japan Festival website, Google Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment