Thursday 26 July 2012

Regarding Nickhun's Drink Driving Controversy


Another day, another 'scandalous' going on in the K-pop world. This time involving 2PM's "Thai Prince" Nickhun. I just wanted to do a quick post here to express my feelings on the matter as I realise it would be a futile effort to do so on any K-pop fan forum (that's like screaming in space -pointless as no one hears).


So, Nickhun had a bit to drink and then went driving, he hit into the back of a motorcycle (not severely, but slightly injuring the motorcyclist all the same) and was found to be slighty over the limit when tested by police.

As always, this has caused some shockwaves throughout the South Korean entertainment industry and Nickhun is receiving a huge backlash for the incident. He has been edited out of advertisements and recent programme footage that he has been a part of. His agency JYP Entertainment has issued a formal apology and announced that Nickhun has been suspended from all activity for the time-being and Nickhun himself took to his Twitter to issue an apology of his own.

Nickhun made a huge mistake.
In my opinion, he shouldn't have been drinking any alcohol if he had plans of driving - just to be on the safe side. It was wrong of him to do it, there is absolutely no denying this.

However, I still can't help but feel annoyed when I see "netizens" flooding comment sections on articles covering the subject, berating Nickhun constantly. There is a clear difference between Western and Eastern culture regarding what is considered a big deal and what is not, but I always feel that people over-react to most K-pop scandals.
It seems that these people that are so angry at Nickhun for what he did and are under the impression that they never make mistakes in their lives, so they feel they can punish others for theirs.

We are all human. We all say and do things we later wish we hadn't and no one on this Earth is perfect. It is for this reason that I try my hardest not to judge people at the drop of a hat for the things that they do.

I have covered this sort of topic a lot more in a previous post called "Scandalous K-pop: K-pop controversies under the microscope" and my opinions on the matter still remain the same.

There is a part where I talked about the time when Block B were in a lot of trouble for acting immaturely in an interview, even when the topic turned to the floods in Thailand that were happening at the time.
Nickhun tweeted about how Block B offended him as a Thai person for the way they behaved, however he later asked people to refrain from issuing death threats (Yes - DEATH THREATS) to the group and let them learn from their mistake.

I mentioned in the previous post that I do not think it was wise of anyone (especially celebrites) to take sides in a situation that they are not directly involved in.
This has obviously also come back to Nickhun now, where he has been the one to make the mistake - countless people have brought his words from the past up now. I feel this just proves my point more.

I am a big fan of 2PM and of Nickhun individually. Even if I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't wish anyone to go through this sort of thing.
He is - no doubt - suffering quite a bit at the moment and I hope he will be able to learn things from this like he says he will. It seems like the more popular you are as a celebrity (as Nickhun is), the further you have to fall, but I hope this will all blow over quickly.

[Image Source: Google Images].

No comments:

Post a Comment