Tuesday 3 July 2012

Brighton Japan Festival – Asahi Anime Festival (30th June 2012)


[Originally written for and featured on the UnitedJpop website. Read here!].

The eight-day Brighton Japan Festival drew to a close last week, but here is a little personal coverage of the Asahi Anime part that took place on the penultimate day!






There were so many different stalls full of interesting things to see, do and buy. I felt this part of the festival was a lot more animated (excuse the pun) than the Moshi Matsuri held of the 23rd of June. I feel this was down to the feeling that Japanese Anime has – it is bright and energetic and the fans are often passionate about their love for the art.

There was many performances held – again, on the stage in front of the sushi restaurant Moshi Moshi. There were girls dressed as maids that danced along to songs by Vocaloid, and even though I am not a big fan of Vocaloid’s music, I couldn’t help but bounce along. I also heard a lot of talented singers belting out the vocals to J-Rock songs and could really feel the crowd feeding off their energy.


A cosplay competition was held, so lots of people in attendance were dressed a various Anime characters. I saw an awful lot of Pikachus, which is of course, always popular!
There was also a quick draw manga contest and the chance to have yourself drawn as a manga character by some very good artists.



[This is a picture drawn of my sister and I...and yes, I asked for the cat ears - but my sister prefered panda's].

I spent way too much money on things, but something I regret is not trying any of the copious amounts of Japanese foods on offer. I was saving myself for a big lunch, but there was a lot of delicious-looking Japanese food to eat!
A Maid Cafe was also held, in true Japanese style. I thought this was a really fun concept to adopt. However, I would have prefered it if there was a Host Club theme…*looks around embarrassed*.
In short, it was busy and loud, but also really fun!
I suggest that anyone who can make it next year checks out the official website and leaves some space free in their calender!

[Sources: Brighton Japan Festival website, Google Images for Brighton Japan Festival Image, Credit to Lianne Smith for the other two images used, I am also trying to find the person who drew the manga - I will be sure to credit her when I do!]

No comments:

Post a Comment